It happens, someone pulls out in front of you, you make an abrupt stop, or reckless driving turns into an unexpected visit to the ER. We have all been there and it is important that you are aware of the steps to take after you have been involved in a car accident. Here are 7 steps you should take:
1. Call 911 or your local non-emergency police station’s number so that an officer can respond and write a crash report and exchange of information.
2. If possible, take photos of the damage and license plates to all vehicles involved as well as the surrounding area
3. If there are any witnesses to the accident, get their name and contact information
4. Contact your car insurance company and file a claim. Have your policy number, year, make and model, and your VIN number handy
- Florida is considered a no-fault state so be sure you call your insurance company first to file a claim
- To file a claim, many times you will be able to use an app, online, or by phone at your auto insurance company
- You should speak to an attorney before giving any recorded statements to the insurance companies
- When making the claim, give an honest, straightforward account of what happened without minimizing any injuries or damage to the vehicles involved
5. Make sure you seek medical attention within 14 days of the accident
Since Florida is a no-fault state, regardless of fault, turn to your insurance company first. Everyone is required to have a minimum of $10K Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage, but you must seek medical attention within 14 days of the accident so that you don’t miss out on coverage that you need. Within the 14 days, you can visit a medical doctor, chiropractor, hospital, or urgent care center
Keep in mind that symptoms related to injuries from a car accident can be delayed to reach its full potential. It can take days or even weeks for a person to feel the full effects, and you don’t want to miss coverage provided by PIP because you did not get treated within 14 days
6. Document as much as possible
7. Contact a personal injury attorney
For no cost to you, we recover our fees only if we win your case, whether through a settlement or jury trial.
To watch Marie Schoeb explain the steps further, visit the video below.
Call Busciglio & Sheridan Law Group today at (813) 225-2695 if you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident.